Navbar

aboutwhy redux?generation oneg2-beast erarid-moviesclassics-animatedafajapanese

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Beast Wars Revisited: Part 3 of 5

I had the good fortune of obtaining some nice vintage Japanese Beast Wars last week so I thought I might be a good idea to do a mini-series on them. There is nothing really spectacular about any of these figures other than the fact they are different from their domestic release counterparts and thus interesting to me.

Part 3: Beast Wars II C-17 Bigmos

I feel bad for Bigmos. If you lived in the United States when Beast Wars was released and collected Transformers, I'm sure you'll remember seeing his American counterpart Transquito on the shelves everywhere. Unfortunately he was the most unpopular figure of his size class and assortment. In fact, I remember still seeing Transquito in Toys R Us after Beast Machines had debuted more than three years later. I really don't know how well Bigmos sold in Japan, but if his purchase price was any indication then it wasn't well. However I really like his colors and the fact that he is a Cybertron in the Beast Wars II fiction (vs Transquito being a Predacon over here) is an interesting twist.

So apparently Bigmos is the leader of the Cybertron subgroup of Insectrons and a great lover of peace. It's funny because all of the insect-related figures that are part of the Insectron group were released as Predacons in America. I'm sure this is because the theme behind Beast Wars II was beast vs machine. All of the Destrons were some sort of machine/vehicle or an organic/machine hybrid. So Bigmos looks like he should be evil, but I guess that just proves that you shouldn't judge a book by its exoskeleton.

The teal reminds me of the 80's!
One of the best things about the BW figures was the attention to detail
This thing really looks like a mosquito!
Cybertron vs. Predacon
Again, it looks like Takara trumps Hasbro on the paint apps!

No comments:

Post a Comment