Navbar

aboutwhy redux?generation oneg2-beast erarid-moviesclassics-animatedafajapanese

Monday, March 26, 2012

Tower Run

This weekend for the very first time in my life I actually competed in a race in which I wasn't forced to participate.

When I was younger I absolutely abhorred sports and exercise despite my parents' best efforts to encourage me to try out for baseball, soccer, judo and a host of other physical activities. I never felt like it was something I had to do, exercise and sports were for other people. I absolutely hated everything I was forced to do and purposely failed at every sport, no matter what. However as I got older (and heavier) I realized that I would probably need to start doing some sort of physical exercise as time went on because my body just couldn't function as well with me sitting on the couch eating Doritos all the time. I started exercising regularly when I went to college, nothing hard core, just enough so that I didn't gain the freshman 15 or whatever they call it.



Then a couple of years ago my father passed away from a health related disease that would have been completely preventable by just eating right and exercising regularly. If there was ever a motivator, that was it. I got together with a trainer and started exercising every other day of the week, for at least an hour at a time. I also drastically changed what I ate because I know that is half the battle. My new diet pretty much consisted of lean meats, vegetables and natural fruits. Not much else. And I realize it is a lifestyle, not a temporary thing. Just cutting out sodas probably made the biggest impact.

Now, a couple of years later I am finding that I really enjoy exercise. I've almost become addicted to it. If I go for more than three or four days without I almost go into withdrawal. With the help of my wife I've also be come involved in local events, the very first of which was this weekend. Our city hosts an annual race to the top of the second tallest building in the city; 1,194 stairs and 50 floors. I was able to complete it in 13.19. The fastest time was 7.07. I know I will never be the fastest and I don't want to be, I was just happy to get to the top. But now I have the desire to compete some more, so I guess you could say I am making up for lost time. It feels good to be able to set a challenging goal for myself. And it feels really good to accomplish it.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats! A tower run sounds pretty fun, so long as you can spend the rest of the day (and the next) on the couch.

    But note: You will still die. No one has out-run that. Yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nooooo! I'll be the first one to do it, you'll see. You'll all see!!!

    But at least I won't die from eating at McDonalds too much. That is my real goal.

    ReplyDelete