Navbar

aboutwhy redux?generation oneg2-beast erarid-moviesclassics-animatedafajapanese

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Tough Mudder Prologue, The Calm Before the Storm

This Saturday I will be participating in probably the most physically challenging event I have ever attempted: a mud run. And not just any ordinary mud run, this is the Tough Mudder run, an 11 mile obstacle course designed by British Special Forces to push you to your limits and at the same time make you as uncomfortable as possible. Now why would I want to do something like this you ask? That is a very good question.



I think perhaps it stems (at least partly) from my competitive nature. I have no expectation of actually finishing this event anywhere near first place, but I am striving to finish it under the average time of 2.5 hours. As a kid I was pretty overweight and I never worked out or competed in any kind of activity. However as I have gotten older I have discovered the value in maintaining my body so it will last me as long as possible. But when I work very hard at something I often need a scale by which to measure myself. Enter Tough Mudder. I specifically chose it because it wasn't necessarily a "race", but it was still an extreme physical challenge. Over the past fourteen weeks I have been working like crazy to increase my strength, endurance and overall stamina. And it has not been easy; in fact it has been the second hardest thing I have ever done.
Yes these are live electrical wires.

I originally set up a team because a couple other people had planned on doing it with me, but for some reason or another they all dropped out. The team name: Junkions of course. Even though they will no longer be participating with me I decided not to let that deter me from my goal. I will be a team of one.

I feel like I am finally ready to tackle this challenge and knock this off my bucket list. Keep reading if you want to know about the full experience.

End of Prologue.

Click here for Part 1.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck. My brother-in-law has done several of these and the stories he has told us about the run are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was definitely an experience I won't forget!

      Delete